Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Person's Smell

My roommate is is not from the school of thought that "less is more" when it comes to perfuming. Every time he's about to leave to see his girlfriend, he bathes himself (and the room) in body spray. When I remind him that it's meant to complement, not overwhelm, he insists that his saturation of scent is fine because of the cold weather. (?)

He left for the weekend, so I checked the can for details. "Power Stick: Intensity" hits you as delicately as a linebacker, a pungent and unabashed conqueror of any room.

As a fragrance miniminalist without a girlfriend to go visit, I have to wonder what I've missed out on.

8 comments:

  1. I like this because you are correct here - "When I remind him that it's meant to complement, not overwhelm, he insists that his saturation of scent is fine because of the cold weather. (?)" I don't mind a man that smells good but I want to be able to breathe and not taste the cologne because it is so strong. Though as someone who wears perfume, I don't know what the coldness has to do with anything, but I always put on a little extra if I know I'll be walking several blocks, just be sure some of it clings when I arrive at my destination. So I think I get what he meant to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always heard that scents are magnified in warm weather, though I'm not sure if this is true or not. Being a girl, I always love it when guys smell nice, and it seems as though Mary agrees too. In all honesty, Acqua di Gio is my kryptonite. However, when a guy smells like the inside of a Hollister store, he's gone way too far. That sort of torture should never be inflicted upon anyone.
    I thought this was a very clever post, and the way you poke fun at your roommate's body spray obsession is quite humorous. From the way you describe him, he seems like he might be guilty of severe fragrance abuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple short essay beginnings in their own rights here, AM and MJ.

      Did we think Matt's post was perfectly concise or that it could have used one or two more sniffs at the topic?

      I love that he eventually gave us the specific scent-producer, but maybe we could have gotten a description of the scent itself.

      Delete
  3. For such a short post, this is incredibly entertaining. This line was very amusing: "hits you as delicately as a linebacker, a pungent and unabashed conqueror of any room." It really is so true; cologne is meant to be subtle, but most men end up emanating the smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could he have stuck with the linebacker metaphor and suggested, by way of humorous overstatement, that the scent was in fact a conqueror of any wide open field?

      Delete
    2. Yep. You nailed it here, should have made that connection.

      Delete
  4. I don't know if the cold weather has anything to do with the smell, or anything like that. I do know that I enjoy when men smell nice, but I don't want to taste it or feel like it's overwhelming me. As for your roommates girlfriend, perhaps she likes the overwhelming scent.

    ReplyDelete