Joanna McNaney's Clean Slate
Katarina Roberts' Undercurrent
Clean Slate:
McNaney's composition is a reflection on a high school photo of her parents. She analyzes their appearance and characterizes each of them, portraying her dad as a smart nerd who managed to attract a beautiful woman with a deep sadness. Beyond the surface of the photo lies a rocky relationship. McNaney can see her mother's broken smile masking an inner sadness, and she recognizes the look as one her mother adopts to camouflage a perpetual sadness brought on by angry and abusive spouse.
This sounds super interesting, I'm excited to read it at some point this semester. Reflective pieces like this I think are very relatable at times.
ReplyDeleteStrong summary. Can you include bits from the text and analyze the writing a little bit. That would be the second paragraph of any book review. . .we just need to see it quickly here.
ReplyDeleteDW
This sounds like an essay I would enjoy reading! I love analyzing old photos of my parents - especially the ones from their high school yearbooks. It's like seeing a side of them you never really knew existed, since they've always just been Mom and Dad...never someone who was once an adolescent.
ReplyDelete