Friday, March 1, 2013

An Exploratory Post of Staggering Mediocrity

For my Eggers emulation, I'm going to introduce my last post, found directly under this...you could read my blog from the top and it would be pre-essay material coming before the real piece. Link here

The following essay ventures into the mind of an erratic and honest thinker. A thinker who battles anxiety now, and bears in the future.

Is the title of this blog post insinuating that this post is mediocre, or that the previous Woolf emulation is mediocre? Is the mediocrity spread in a thick layer through both posts? Where does the underselling stop and the beauty begin? All of these questions, and more, will not be answered in this piece. I'm seriously going to not answer so many questions, things like: Why is the world poor? How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if it was paired with a lumberjack like how police have K9 units, in a deciduous forest? Why does Krispy Kreme throw dozens of donuts in the trash every night? I'm not going to answer any of that.

Some components of a great story are action, violence, and confusing love triangles- or at least that's what Hollywood tells me. You get none of that, unless your idea of a love triangle is a brief and misplaced homoerotic longing, then there's plenty of that to go around. So sultry!

I'd like to take this time to acknowledge some important people in my life that have shaped both this and the ensuing piece. Hey, Ms. Lynch! Remember when you said that I changed from 7th to 8th grade, implied it was for the worse, and asked if my parents were getting a divorce? I do! Then I'd like to shout out my mom for believing that I would be painfully shy and it would inhibit my life. Does a painfully shy person rap over Gucci Mane's Orange Juice instrumental with words inspired by Huxley's Brave New World? I think not (John was the only Caucasian on the Savage Reservation/Information got me sayin' 'What the Ford is up with that?). Thanks to Mrs. Knight for banning all balls on the playground and teaching me how to successfully stage a peaceful protest, making me like a Gandhi of Jr. High, but fatter (Buddha?). And finally, thanks to my editor, the squiggly red line under shittily-typed words; couldn't have done it without ya, buddy.

Make up your own damn themes, I'm not spoon-feeding you.


5 comments:

  1. I thought this was funny. It was slightly angsty in the shout outs which i think is fitting to Eggers' self-consciousness. I think it emulated him quite well and you used kind of an opposite idea by not just giving the reader all of the answers Overall I think it was exactly what this assignment was looking for-good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! You really capture Eggers's sense of humor by asking yourself so many ridiculous rhetorical questions, and I found myself laughing in a few places - namely, the Ghandi/Budda part. Also, the digression is very amusing and quirky, which also seems to be an Eggers thing, so props to you for emulating that in this essay! There seems to be a lot of alternation between angst and happy-go-lucky, which you pulled off well.

    Awesome emulation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I was confused with the lack of narrative and what-not and then I realized that this was just like his front material for the book! Good job on that! As the other two already pointed out, your humor is spot-on. Not much to say, except that this was a really good Eggers emulation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so good! You wrote this in a way that would make Eggers proud. You used his way of asking rhetorical questions and long sentences. I really liked the paragraph of the shout outs. It was very funny and something I'm surprised Eggers didn't write himself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where's the drawing of the forklift?

    ReplyDelete